More than 90 per cent of the storm windows that were removed by South Australia’s Department of Primary Industries and Forestry were damaged or lost during the storm, the South Australian Department of Health and Human Services said.
The Department said the affected window bar was removed between 8am and 4pm on Monday and the rest of the windows were removed between 6am and 5pm on Tuesday.
“The damage to these windows was extensive and significant,” DHHS regional director of communications Sarah Johnson said.
The Department of Public Health said the storm shut down many businesses and disrupted many people’s ability to get to work.
Ms Johnson said the department would have been working on restoring the windows after the storm had passed.
There was a significant impact on our services, including health and safety.
We’re looking at a number of ways we can get those windows back in service, but unfortunately we have no estimate at this time.
In a statement, DHHS said most of the affected windows were in the Adelaide and the Goldfields area of South Australia.
“The department was unable to immediately provide any further details on how many windows were damaged,” it said.
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely to assess the full extent of the damage and ensure the safety of our customers and staff.”
Affected businesses include KPMG, Royal Bordeaux, Tully, Tullamarine, The Caterer, JB Hi-Fi, Rooftop Grill, The Pizzeria, Redstone Brewery, Westpac Banking and a number in the inner west of Adelaide.
A spokesperson for the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) said the agency had been in contact with the Department of Business, Innovation and Employment and was in the process of gathering further information.”ATO has been working with the State Government to provide information on the affected businesses and their impacts,” the spokesperson said.
“There have been many complaints about windows that have been damaged and there has been no damage to any of the businesses involved.
ATO is working with State Government and local councils to gather information on how to protect the affected areas and will be providing a list of recommendations at a later date.”
The Department also said some of the impacted businesses were already in recovery.
“We are still in the initial stages of recovering a number, but we will be in the early stages of a recovery operation in the coming weeks,” it added.
“Work is continuing to restore many businesses to full operational condition.”
Topics:health,health-administration,weather,emergency-incidents,health,community-and-society,healthpolicy,south-australiaFirst posted January 02, 2018 11:58:24Contact Karen CopleyMore stories from South Australia